"I grew up with my nana and I would follow her everywhere...go to uta...…
1. Tell us about the title of your show “the day before tomorrow”
It is because “today” = the present, and the things that exist in the present may, or may not, remain by tomorrow. The title talks about the uncertainty of the world which we live in.
2. If you could master one tool/skill, what would it be?
Photographic memory of world around me.
3. What’s your usual art making process/inspiration/how do you work?
Collect information from the world around me such as dismissed events, the mundane, everyday life, forgotten, worn, or abandoned items, and recollection. And from this information, I will deconstruct and reconstruct the concept and images and use this information to create artworks.
4. What are some challenges and perks of being an artist?
I love the big challenges of creating art works from scattered information and new ideas.
Enriching my world through my art practice is one of the biggest pleasures of being an artist.
5. Which 3 artists (dead/alive) would you like to have dinner with?
Ann Hamilton(U.S.A), Ceal Floyer(U.K) , Francis Alÿs (Belgium/ Mexico)
6. What advice would you give to a younger Akiko starting out in the creative industry?
Keep your eyes wide open and don’t stop creating.
7. What would you like to achieve within the next 10 years?
My dream is to hold an exhibition at Hamburger Bahnhof Museum in Berlin (one of the most beautiful art gallery in the world in my opinion).
8. What are 5 most important items/tools in your studio?
- 25 hexagonal ball point gel ink pen from Muji.
- Double ring note A5 from Muji
- Impact 3B1 Note Book (32 leaves 64 pages 7mm ruled),
- iphone 11pro,
- Mac Book Pro
9. Is there an underlying message you want share through your artworks/art practice?
The most important thing I found through my art practice was actually meeting and expanding my circle of new friends. They enrich my world and life.
Akiko’s current exhibtion: depotartspace.co.nz/event/akiko-diegel
Akiki’s website: akikodiegel.com