Work with us
Exhibition Curator and Manager
Over the years, Depot Artspace’s adaptability and responsiveness to change have sustained it through the vagaries of life.
While 2020 has thrown us all some major curve balls, we’re facing 2021 with optimism about the difference the arts can make to our future; both here in Aotearoa and to the world. The galleries have always been part of the Depot’s multidisciplinary creative community and we envisage them as significant to this change for good.
The Depot galleries are part of a creative community with recording studios, a professional development programme for artists, and a publications arm. We are a small committed team with complementary skills which include promotion, design, research and community development. Together we build a profile for the arts as a valued aspect of community and society.
We are seeking an Exhibition Curator and Manager to work with the wider Depot team to provide successful exhibition experiences for exhibitors and visitors. If you are familiar with contemporary NZ arts and arts practice, enjoy building relationships with artists, audiences and volunteers and have a professional approach which includes strong administration skills, value collaboration with other places and projects, we invite you to apply for this position.
Essential Qualities required for the position:
- Passionate about offering outstanding care to Depot visitors with an engaging and warm manner
- Outgoing, adaptable and committed to participating in The Depot’s creative activities
- Able to work collaboratively and independently
- Able to display sound judgment and show initiative
Essential Skills required for the position
- Your experience and skill in curating artists’ exhibitions equips you to create engaging exhibition and event experiences for audience and exhibitors.
- Your demonstrated ability to apply for and raise funds and secure grants supports the sustainability of the galleries.
- Your well-developed interpersonal and administrative skills enables you to provide a high level of service with effective systems.
- The development of an effective group of volunteers and training opportunity for internships enables you to focus on creating a sustainable exhibition operation.
- Excellent oral and written standards characterise your communication.
- Demonstrated ability to build a variety of networks with artists and organisations
- Passion and flexibility characterises the way you go about your work and the need to work extra time on occasion is never a burden.
This is a full time Tuesday to Saturday position commencing late January 2021 based in Devonport, Auckland.
How to apply
Please apply using the form below.
You must have the right to work in NZ permanently with no restrictions.
Applications close 5pm on Saturday 28th of November 2020.
For more information
021 685 737
Become a member
As a Depot Artspace member, you will help support the Depot with your membership payment and receive:
- A colour copy of our quarterly LOUD magazine and e-newsletters every 3 weeks.
- Invitations to all of our exhibition openings and special events.
- Opportunities to exhibit in the Galleries and The Art Room.
You can become a member by visiting us and completing the membership registration in person or you can download a membership form HERE, and post it to us with a cheque enclosed.
Our Annual Membership rates are:
Unemployment Benefit $10
Youth (under 20) $10
*Only one copy of each edition of LOUD is sent to those with Family and Organisation memberships.
We welcome new volunteers
Volunteering is a great way to be part of the community and make a positive impact, while developing skills and meeting new people. Most of our volunteers have been with us for several years and are themselves potters, photographers and former creative professionals who enjoy being a part of the Depot community.