An invitation to design, make and exhibit Aotearoa/New Zealand’s next national flag!
In the next parliamentary term, 2014–2017, the people of Aotearoa / New Zealand will vote on whether their country flies a new flag. In that case it will be ensured that the public can contribute design ideas.
There have been numerous calls in the last decades for a new flag design. It has been argued that the current flag symbolises a colonial and post-colonial era whose time has passed, and that it ignores Māori heritage and other ethnic groups. It is also very similar to the Australian flag and the two are often confused.
New Zealand is not the first country to address redesigning their national flag; 31 countries have done so since 1990. A flag competition held by the Listener in 1989 showed that most New Zealanders wanted a change. In 2010 the New Zealand Herald ran a front-page article arguing that it was time to change. And with the referendum coming up, the time is now.
The Depot Artspace wants to prepare for this process by inviting you to take part in Flag It! – an opportunity to have your say and represent your country, your identity and tūrangawaewae / your sense of place!
The design process will play a key role in the evolution of the Aotearoa/New Zealand flag. Flag It! has also been inspired by the flags exhibited during the W’akaputanga – a Proclamation exhibition, which stirred a lot of feeling about our cultural past and present and indicated a desire to understand more about it.
The national flag should:
– Be instantly identifiable, recognisable and unique
– Represent the identity of the country
– Carry meaningful symbolism
– Connect emotionally to the population
– Demonstrate creativity and great design
– Reference the past and the future
– Have a timeless aspect
Entry forms and artworks are to be delivered on Thursday 28th August and Friday the 29th of August from 10am – 5pm.
What are you in for?
* People’s Choice Award for the best entry – thanks to the wonderful people at Flagz Group Limited the winning entry will have their flag printed!
* Selected works to travel to locations in other regions of New Zealand including the Hokianga
* Your chance to be the designer of Aotearoa/NZʼs
next national flag!
Flag It! will be exhibited in the Main Gallery during the month national elections take place, from the 6th to the 18th of September.
We will also have a number of canvases, kindly donated by The Canvas Company, Albany, available to artists on a first come, first served basis.